Monday, November 24, 2008

Liar Liar Pants on Fire

In 1999 I worked for a small credit union. Just myself and another woman worked there and I only worked part time it was so small.
People would often call up and ask for money to be extracted from their account in a check form and prepare them for pick up. No big deal, that was my job and I did it with gusto. I loved my job. What I didn't like, and honestly never understood, was the people that would call for a check and then proceed to tell me what they needed their money for. Even worse was the people that called for a check, tell me what they needed it for and were lying about it. For instance:

**Exaggeration**

"Good Morning, Credit Union"
"Yes, I need to have $350.00 made out from account number 157 payable to me"
"Okay sure - when will you be in to pick it up"
"Hmm I'm not sure, you see I need the money because last night a tree fell through my attic window and ice is penetrating my entire third floor" (It's June)
"Oh I'm sorry to hear that, I will have your check ready for when you come in"
"Yea, I need to get the money to the contractor today so they can fix it up!"
"Oh that's rough"
"OK see you later"

or

"Good Morning, Credit Union"
"Hi I need to have all my money, I have to go to the dentist"

Seriously man, I don't care what you need your money for. My job is to give you your money whenever you need or want it.

Likewise, when we would process loans they did the same thing.

"I need a loan application"
"For what type of loan?"
"Car please"
"Here you go"
"My car got wrecked last week so I need a new one"

Again, I don't care.

Another thing that gets to me is when, for instance, I'm running late with a particular friend she says:

"We can just say that we were traveling up 52 and there was an accident and we got caught behind the car that did it and it backed us up"
and I say...
"Why don't we just say "Hey - sorry we are late, we got a late start"?"

or

"Just tell her you are allergic to it"
and I say..
"Why don't I just say "You know, I'm not to fond of fish, can we try something else?"

No need for elaborate stories.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I'm probably guilty of the "extra information" thing (not necessarily at the bank) - it's not really that I feel the need to explain something, I think sometimes it's just trying to make awkward conversation. Like this morning, the guy at Caribou said "did you have a good weekend?" and I felt obligated to comment on it. But I know he gets paid to be friendly...I was totally laughing about the one you mentioned about the dentist though :)